12 April 2006

Kakamega Rain Forest


The only rain forest in Kenya is just north of us about 2 hour drive near the town of Kakamega. We went with expat friends from England and stayed at a retreat called Rondo Retreat. Its located just at the edge of the forest. [lots of new photos in the photo gallery!]. There was about 30 km of just dirt road and as a real city boy who has never needed a 4 wheel drive car, shifting into 4WD on this part of the trip was a lot of fun!

It's a real retreat in the best sense of the word. A few small cottages, a small dining area, great food and very peaceful. The only sounds were the exoitic birds, monkey sounds and an occasional screaming child, oh, it's that the same as monkey sounds? I get them confused. Anyway, a good place to go if you need to work. I'm sure we'll be back and I'm sure it will be on the list of things to do when people visit...hint, hint.

There are several well marked trails both short and long, especially good for having to bring the kids. And the kids had a great time as well. We saw the most amazing variety of birds, very colorful and some were huge, I think I need a bird book! Also saw monkey families which the kids really enjoyed and a host of interesting plants. The thing that most impressed me what just how tall the trees are [see photos], just breath taking!



No comments: