14 February 2006
House Staff And More
This thing about having a staff has actually turned out to be rather stressful. We are expected to have at least three people working here. A gardener. We employ one already, his name is Rueben, super nice guy. I’m not really sure just how much he knows about gardening though, mostly he sweeps a lot, waters the plants, which is a good thing and washes the car, everyday. We have a Iyah or nanny, her name is Pamella (accent on the second syllable) who is a very sweet bubbly person but seems to be a much better housekeeper than nanny, she doesn’t really interact much with the kids, I am told this is a cultural thing so we have to teach her which is fine I guess. And we are currently interviewing for a cook. We think we’ve found someone but she can’t start until April. In the mean time now that we’ve put the word out that we are looking for staff, people are coming from far and wide to interview (someone came just today after an 8 hour bus ride from Nairobi) and it is really hard to turn them down, everyone is so needy here, We have to develop a thicker skin or we’ll go broke!
It is very awkward to be seen as such a super wealthy person, which is how the average Kenyan on the street sees us. The fact is there are so many who are so genuinely needy. Reminds me of a sad neighbor in Atlanta. he had a drinking problem and would constantly pester me for odd jobs. It’s sort of like living among hundreds of sad neighbors like that only most don’t have the drinking problem, they are just poor hard working people.
Most all the Kenyans we met so far are really warm inviting people. Very soft spoken and engaging. Actually along with their soft spoken ways plus their accents I have a lot of trouble understanding what they say to me. I am embarrassed to say that sometimes I have to ask three or four times what they are saying. Apparently I am learning it is a common problem among the expats and I will soon ‘get it’. In the mean time it is still frustrating when I’m trying to get gas for the car and it take three or four tries before I understand that the gas attendant is just asking me what kind of gas I want.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Does your staff live on your house or on the premises? Send some photos of the house. The pool looks wonderful. Do the Kenyams specak English?
sorry --- I should have spell checked. I'm pretty sure the house staff does not live ON the house (I meant in the house) Also last sentence :Do the Kenyans speak....
sorry --- I should have spell checked. I'm pretty sure the house staff does not live ON the house (I meant in the house) Also last sentence :Do the Kenyans speak....
Post a Comment