Got my Sunday New York Times today!!! Whooohooo! Never mind it’s dated Feb 5th, I’m gonna enjoy this, I actually have time to read the damn thing now. This also means I am now getting my regular mail…finally, so I know the APO address is now really working for us.
We still have only one car so I’m taking Kayla to work and back everyday. It’s a 20 min ride on the road thru town which is a direct road to Uganda. In the morning it’s a rather pleasant, scenic drive, but in the evening it is treacherous. Thin road, mostly straight with some MAJOR pot holes and lumps. the evening rush hour...tons of people on bikes going home, the occasional cow, goat or dog deciding to do a little tap dance in the middle of the road while these huge oil trucks spewing black smoke and lots of these mini vans used for buses, a VW mini bus just packed with people hauling ass down the road, hair splitting passing, saw four near misses today, like playing chicken or something,. By the time I get to Kayla’s office I’m a wreck. It was even worst today because we were racing the sunset so as not to get caught after dark on this death trap, wheew, I need a drink! I mean I’d rather be going down 400 in Atlanta in the middle of rush hour that this road.
These boda boda bike taxi guys are really intriguing. Each has a uniquely decorated bike (some have the un-decorated look too, if you know what I mean), some are pretty elaborate. Someone told me today they saw one guy peddling down the street carrying an entire living room suite (sofa, chair, etc) on the back of his bike, man! I’m thinking of doing a photo essay on these guys.
1 comment:
Your blog is the first thing I check when I turn on my computer in the morning--I truly enjoy the pictures you paint with words as well as the digital photos. I'm disappointed when there's nothing new. I think a photo essay on the local bike taxis would be uniquely interesting.
p.s. hugs for Esther and Max!!!!!
Post a Comment