Well I suppose we are on the brink of a historic moment in America. I am thinking back now when Obama came to Kisumu to visit his grandmother. I had a chance ride with them and I felt I got to know him just a little that day. He is a member of the local tribe, the Luo tribe, and right now they, along with other Kenyans, are as excited as if they were in America voting themselves. There are enormous billboards of Obama going up all over. The newspapers are filled with stories about him too. There are international journalists everywhere in town now. And grandma’s house is surrounded by satellite dished trucks and video cameras and bored journalists looking for anything to write about.
But what if he looses? We hear rumors. There is a little bit of apprehension about what will happen here. Especially having lived here through the post election violence in January. We are all a little jumpy. So once again we are stocking up on food, backing up the computers, charging the portable VSAT battery and we shall see….
So Kayla and a few other expats at CDC have become friendly with grandma Obama and have been invited into her compound to watch the election results, the only people she has invited, no journalists inside. So the plan is if he wins they’ll slaughter a bull and have a three day party. It ought to be amazing, look for pictures to appear here soon after. And if you’re watching the news and they cut to Kenya you might see them then as well.
Me? I’m not going. Yea, I know, it’s a once in your life kind of thing but I feel more comfortable staying home with the kids and just watching from my living room. I’ll be ready with plan B incase we need a plan B.
No comments:
Post a Comment