27 April 2008

The More Things Change...

I went for a walk in downtown Kisumu recently. First time since we’ve returned from our ‘post election violence vacation’. Things are back to normal but things have also changed. I can’t really describe it fully but there is a different feeling on the streets now. On the face of it the city is thriving even more so than before the election. And I have even seen more municipal projects like road repair that even before. But there is something in the air; I’m thinking I need to go out and photograph in the streets again to understand what the difference is.

One big thing I have learned from all this is that Africa can change on a dime. One minute everyone is smiling, going along, and the next minute they are burning each others house down. There is a lot more than meets the westerners’ eye here. It’s no real surprise really, these folks see MTV, they know what’s going on in the world, they also know they are dirt poor (literally) and their politicians have taken advantage of them for years and years, these things are bound to boil over from time to time. Politicians in the west lie, cheat and steal too; all the time; 24/7 but the difference is at least the little guy has social services in place, and you get your clean running water and consistent electricity to watch your 200 channels of TV. Not so here. It is mind boggling how some people are forced to live here. I am constantly feeling ultra selfconscience of my status around here. As a fellow human being I am embarrassed about how inhuman their living conditions are. And we as westerners, participate in the continuation of this situation. We want our cheap clothes, cheap labor, cheap gas don't we?? Then if we do we'll have to continue to turn a blind eye on the plight of people living in the third world.

Sorry to go on about this but sometimes the suffering really gets to me.

1 comment:

Daxk said...

Hi Alan, read your accounts with interest and a sense of longing.I mentioned before that here are a number of sayings about Africa,one of which is that if you have drunk or swum in Africa, her water remains in your blood forever, so too her dust in your lungs.
The other saying that Westerners can never understand is TIA, (This is Africa)and one of the many parts of that saying is how prevalent death is in our lives, especially out in the more remote areas. dont mean to be morbid,but I think a child of Africa is exposed to more elements of insect bites,fevers,wild animals, shortage of medical facilities and they develop an understanding of the tenousness of life earlier.
That too carries through some of mans actions against his fellow man.
I am sure that if you examine yourself you will find that you too have become a bit inured to things that happen.
When you one day return to "civilisation" you will find yourself passing a comment or anecdote that will horrify the listeners but sound perfectly normal to you."But,it Happened"
Because already,reading your blog, Africa is so deep inside you,
you have become part of Africa,even at a 100 years of age,this part of your life will be the most vivid.
Africa has few pastel experiences.