05 February 2008

Hello from Pleasantville, Kenya

Hi everyone, it’s been a while since I’ve written. We have been busy setting up a household here in Nairobi. Starting from scratch…again, even working to locate a school for the kids. All very stressful. And even depressing as every step along the way seems to feel more and more like we are entrenching ourselves here in Nairobi.

We spent almost the whole day on Monday at the embassy filling out papers and learning about what level evacuation we are in, DefCon1? DefCon2? Whatever. Ok, this is actually complicated; I am not sure I even understand it all but we are ‘officially’ evacuated from Kisumu now and other outlying areas of Kenya as well. Oh, the kids are officially on Authorized Departure, We, are on Temporary Duty Assignments in Nairobi. Seems it’s unusual that the state department evacuates people to somewhere inside the same country. They evaluate the situation every 30 days so we may be here for 3 more weeks or…. Until they reverse these orders no one is allowed outside Nairobi without notifying the embassy and no one is allowed in Kisumu without the ambassador’s permission. We are hoping to start a rotation of the Americans to go in and out of Kisumu every few days, if things stay quiet around here. We have to manage the affairs of our house and the field station by remote control from Nairobi, which isn’t so easy, especially with work.

Also at the embassy we were all asked to be in a ‘meeting’ with the Regional Psychiatric Officer. Now THAT was interesting. You could have cut the tension in that room with a machete! What, ME stressed? No way, man! No, actually he seemed like a nice enough guy. And he had some interesting information about Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome to share.

Do you remember the James Bond movie Goldfinger? The part where they drive into Fort Knox? I think of that scene every time I ride into the American compound which is where we are living right now. HUGE security. There are about 40 homes, they look exactly the same; it’s really Pleasantville! Very weird and not our style. ALL Americans live here. You’d hardly know you were in Kenya at all. Even the restaurant at the clubhouse only takes USD. The kids think we are on yet another vacation, they are doing really well so far. Kayla and I are frustrated; we are hoping our stay in Pleasantville is very, very short.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi guys- We've been following your misadventures in Kenya. Quite a dramatic turn of events. We also read about it in U.S. News & World Report- the post riot photos of downtown Kenya were disturbing and a bit worrisome. Be safe, and better yet, come home soon! -joni

laserbeam said...

Hi Kayla and Alan,

If the embassy recognizes that you are in danger than that's not a good thing. As hard as it may seem I would let the CDC know that you are done in Africa. For Max and Esther's sake you need to come home!!!! You must have seen the damage done to children from a war torn country.


love you guys,

Al

Raine said...

Missed you guys on the beach...maybe next year? Really glad to hear you are safe and secure (really secure), even if it isn't exactly where you want to be!

Good to know the kids are on "authorized departure", although from the sounds of what Max was doing at school you don't have to worry about them falling behind . :)

Anonymous said...

I'm with Laserbeam. I'll pitch in on tickets and I have extra stuff. I know I'm probably not going to be heard and I respect that, guys, but it all makes me nervous and it helps me to vent. God bless!!!!!!! If nothing else, at least you know we all love you guys!

Anonymous said...

I'm with Laserbeam. I'll pitch in on tickets and I have extra stuff. I know I'm probably not going to be heard and I respect that, guys, but it all makes me nervous and it helps me to vent. God bless!!!!!!! If nothing else, at least you know we all love you guys!

laserbeam said...

Thanks for backing me up Tony! I was wondering if I was out of line with my suggestions. I'm glad you're with me.

Please take care Kayla and Alan and let's hope you can go home soon. Which home is up you.