16 December 2007

Election Adventure

Hi everyone, we are about to embark on another adventure. This one is the get-the-hell-out-of-Dodge-before-the-presidential-elections-happen-in-the-third-world-country-you-are-living-in vacation adventure! Yes folks, no one know what will happen around here before and after election day which is December 27th. Our gardener has asked to keep his only mode of transport, his bike, in our compound for safe keeping. The weekend gardener asked for an advance so he can pay transport for his family to their rural home for safety. People are a little nervous about it all. So we are outta here!

We actually have quite the trip planned. We’re going to visit our Atlanta friends and neighbors Bob and Juliet who are now living in Maputo, Mozambique with their two kids. We’re going to travel around a bit with them and another family. We leave Kisumu Tuesday the 18th and spending a day in Maputo, then driving to South Africa to a place called Zinkwazi in Durban and staying a the
Nautilhouse then on to Drakensburg to the Royal Natal National Park where I’m not sure where we are staying and then to Phophonyane Falls to spend the New Years and eventually back to Kisumu by January 3rd.

Hopefully I’ll be able to blog from my phone while we are out running around.

Ya know, there really isn’t THAT much difference between a first world election and a third world one. You still have the candidates buying votes, inciting voters, lying, cheating, etc. same here. Only here it’s a little more obvious. And there is a lot more violence in the trenches.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, Al. I always flee for my safety at election time! I'll be glad when you guys are back here and I can harrass you locally!
God Bless and be safe on your travels.