16 November 2007

Whew! Dodged A Bullet

Wednesday night Kayla and I returned home after dark from a dinner to find Kidogo, the puppy (who doesn’t look much like a puppy anymore), acting strangely; just lying around, won’t come when you call. Apon further investigation we notice her mouth is all swollen and the side of her lip is very droopy and she’s drooling profusely. Anyway she is showing all the symptoms of having been bitten by a snake.

We call the only Vet we know several times and he’s not answering. Then we start call just anybody looking for something to do for her. No one knows what to do or they are saying there’s not much to do. Never did get the Vet on the phone. And Kayla and I were pretty distressed as we decided there wasn’t much to do but wait it out and hope that by morning she would still be with us. Luckily the kids were asleep and unaware.

Morning arrives, I got up early to check, incase anything had to be done before the kids woke up. I poked my head out the door to find her sitting up by the gate staring at me! A good sign that she made it through the night. I called the Vet again; he answered and agreed to come out.

She actually looked pretty good. The swelling around her mouth was almost gone although her throat was somewhat swollen and she acted more like her old self again. The guard then showed me that he had found a baby, headless snake in the yard. Kidogo likes to chase birds and lizards of which there is no short supply around here so it would make sense that she chased this snake and bit the head off. The disconcerting part of this is that the snake was identified by the guard as a Black Mamba. One of the 10 deadliest snakes in the world. Nice. And where there is one baby there is sure to be more and maybe even a parent somewhere!

The Vet gave her some injections for pain, an antibiotic and something else; no anti-venom as she seemed to be recovering on her own. We are told to watch her for 72 hours now for changes. She is so luck, but the bigger concern now is it seems we might have Black Mambas in our compound and with kids around this is no joke.

I have been told about a company that will come out to deal with finding and eliminating snakes so I’ll be calling on them soon!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah.... let me know how the black mamba hunt goes and then we can talk about planning a trip to come see you.... Josh

Anonymous said...

I know you won't take this snake issue lightly and you shouldn't - please be assured - where there are babies, there are mammas, definitely. And , like Josh says - get this snake thing figured out and THEN we'll talk about visit!