We were on our usual grocery expedition, Esther, Max and I. We go to this huge store Saturday’s which is sort of a combination of Walmart and a grocery. And since it is located just across from an enormous slum it is not unusual to see kids wandering around. You know can't afford anything in this store but they are just curious. There were these two girls, one about 12, the other about 8, clearly sisters, who caught my attention. Maybe it was how they gasped and stared at us as I pulled 5 loaves of bread off the self (I know it's a lot of bread but we have the kids and 3 staff to feed lunch to every week!). Anyway it made me really self conscience as they followed us thru the store, wondering what we were going to do next. When we all arrived at the frozen food section the little one got her nerve up and asked me "what is this?" as she pointed to some frozen fish fillets in clear plastic. "Wow" I thought “she has never seen frozen food”. I said it was fish, held it in my hand to show her and asked her if she wanted to hold it. She did, and then pulled her hand back in astonishment after touching it, probably not expecting it to be so cold.
They followed us for a while longer then disappeared into the store.
No comments:
Post a Comment