It’s official now. Almost a year and half into this move to Africa we are coming home for our first visit back. I have only one word for it: halleluiah, I can hardly wait. I’ve been feeling rather dark lately. I need a first world fix. Home. Don’t get me wrong, I am really enjoying our adventure here, really I am, but I need a break. I…am…tired…of…talking…slowly…and…deliberately…in…order…to…be…understood…and then I am misunderstood anyway. The roads, driving, food; I hardly ate it when we lived in American but now I am craving (of all things) a Big Mac! I want to just stand and stare at the deli section at the Decatur Farmers Market in Atlanta. I am afraid of Target…I might hyperventilate if I step inside one of those stores. We do get to ship another 2500 lbs of 'consumables' back to Kenya so I'm thinking another marathon shopping spree at Costco will happen.
We leave here June 2, arrive Atlanta June 3 for about a week then to Chicago, then to New York, then back to Atlanta for almost a week and back to Kisumu. This is not going to be a ‘vacation’ in the relaxing sense. Living out of suitcases for three weeks with toddlers. More like a marathon; time to get into shape! We are promising to travel light; even going to try to rent/borrow car seats for the kids, we’ll see if it really happens that way.
See you soon!
3 comments:
Alan!
Man, good luck! I'm sure that now you'll travel smartly---after having endured the trip over. Maybe you should go back and read the description of your trip over (I still remember that post!)
Again good luck, after visiting you guys in Kisumu last summer-I gained some bit of confidence that maybe we could pull it off too. thanks for that! Can't wait to hear how it all goes.
It's about time you stopped by for a visit! We can't wait to see you and spend time in person and, of course, see the kids. Bad news - McDonalds doesn't make Big Macs anymore. Just kidding. I'll buy! Travel safe and see you soon!
We can't wait to see y'all! For your first week in Atlanta, at least, we'll have a car and car seats for the kids. What's going to happen with the dog and her pups while you're gone?
Post a Comment