The drive to Mbita is abot 4 hours. 2.5 hours on some of the most pristine roads I have ever been on in Kenya, just perfect and the last bit on some of the most hellish road I’ve ever been on in Kenya. This part was so bad that by the time we got home the rattling in the car had loosened the air ducts in the car and they had fallen out. I am now of the mind to take my car in to have complete servicing after we take one of these trips. What a switch, though, a year ago Max would have begged me to ‘stop the bumps’ but now it’s ‘bring on more bumps daddy’ and Esther is the one saying ‘stop the bumps’!
Mbita is beautiful. Could rival anything I’ve seen in the Caribbean. I think if it weren’t for the schistosomiasis in Lake Victoria they could really develop this place as a resort. Father Tillnan’s compound is right on the lake. Beautiful views, amazing sunsets every night. And birds, birds, birds. So loud you sometimes had to shout. Everywhere birds; thousands! We took a boat ride out to this tiny island where there were so many birds that the rocks and tree had turned completely white, like snow, because of the bird poop. [LOTS OF PHOTOS HERE]
No comments:
Post a Comment