05 January 2007

Sexy Sandy


Our dog Sandy is in heat. Yup, ready to go! I suppose we’ll get her ‘fixed’ someday but we thought ‘ah, why not let her have one go at it before we do the fixin’. And the kids might enjoy the puppies, etc. so the guy who has been training her, Yobesh, knows just about everybody in our neighborhood and knew of a dog we could breed her with. He and I went over to their compound around noon the other day. Sandy chased and played with this poor fellow for two hours before she would let him try anything and by that time he was too worn out! He could barely stand up.

After a few hours break we took her to another house. They have two large German Shepherds. Sandy seemed to enjoy herself here so I left her overnight. After picking her up the next evening she mostly slept for the next two days. Guess she had fun.

One other observation, though: The owner of the house we took Sandy to happens to be an Asian (Indian)-- not unusual here, on the contrary there are lots of Asians in Kenya. The British brought them during the colonial period to do technical-type jobs, accounting, engineering, etc. and when the Brits left they left them in charge of many of the businesses here. Over time, as things developed, the Asian population became very successful but also created a closed society where all the money mostly circulated amongst other Asians, sort of a cartel, somewhat like a mafia. And we’ve heard stories about how they generally treat black Kenyans very badly. Now of course I don’t think all Asians are racists but I have heard these stories. So when we arrived at this guy’s house he offered both Yobesh (a black Kenyan) and myself some coffee. We both accepted but when it came time to go into his house to have coffee, the owner said something to Yobesh in Swahili which I didn’t understand and only the owner and I went into the house. It wasn’t hard to put two and two together. I couldn’t believe it really.

And again next day when I picked up Sandy, their gardener at that house spoke to me in private to ask if I could find him another job, sighting he has to work 11 hours a day 7 days a week and for very little money. Unfortunately these scenarios are very common here. I spoke to Yobesh that next day about it, he confirmed the racist attitudes among many of the Asians, black Kenyas put up with it because the Asians are the ones with the jobs and they have a lot of the money and there are no government mechanisms to curb this behavior (what little available government help there is can be crushed with enough bribes).
Anyway now we wait for puppies...maybe.

1 comment:

laserbeam said...

I guess all races have racists>>>

Al