
Being a stranger in a strange land for four months and then suddenly being exposed to remnants of my former life in the US and ‘home’ gave me such a bitter sweet feeling. It’s a funny thing, I didn’t anticipate this reaction, but when our container finally arrived yesterday and they started unloading and unpacking things I got a little choked up. On one hand I was of course happy things had finally arrived and it was good to see homey familiar things around me again, on the other hand it made me miss some things of what seems a distant life in the US.
The container arrived just as Kayla is about to spend the week in Argentina (I have just heard from her. She has arrived safe and sound. After a drive for 4 hours from Baringo Bay to Nairobi, then the plane to South Africa and stay overnight, then to Brazil, then to Argentina and another 5 hour bus ride to the conference site!) so I am on my own with this stuff. They delivered it in a huge tractor trailer truck. When they were trying to back the thing through our gate there were at least 6 guys in front of the driver help to direct him, but no one was paying attention to the tree he was next to… there was a loud crack as one of the huge main branches gave way. The tree is across the street on the Nyanza Country Club property. Talk about Keystone Cops! Well, there was a discussion with the club manager and some money changed hands and all was right in the world again.
What I want to know is how on earth we were living among so many toys in that little house in Atlanta! It’s hard to believe all these toys fit in that house. It’s amazing what you can get used to. Max has forgotten what some of these toys are, like the cleaning cart thing which he loved. He did remember about his tent which we had to promptly setup in his bed room (yes it fits in his bedroom with space to spare thank you) and he insisted on sleeping in it last night too. Everything is unpacked, took two days, they did a great job, now to sort it all out. Guess that’s my job for the week, or more.
2 comments:
How exciting to see all you're stuff!!! Have fun sorting it all out!
Glad everything showed up finally. I'm sure it's good to see familiar things. Like your favorite thermos.
Post a Comment