09 June 2006

Amazing...

My life here at the four month mark is far richer than I had ever thought possible. All week I have been working at an orphanage during my spare time. Eighty children live in what I would normally consider condemned buildings. The word rubble comes to mind. But they lucked out. A CDC family here has taken extraordinary interest in them and are having a huge impact. They have even gone so far as to set up a non-profit fund to raise money for them. That, in turn, has attracted the attention of a man whose family owns Overstock.com and this guys has decided to travel the world building schools for needy people. Is that not the coolest job? He has dropped a bunch of money to build a school here AND money to set up an internet café (very big in Africa) so they can generate some income. They are just breaking ground with the school building but are at the final stages of setting up their internet café. That’s where I’ve come in. I’ve been wiring the place, setting up networking. It’s been great fun getting to know these folks; they are warm and very appreciative. What little Swahili I’ve learned has started coming in handy too.

As I was leaving, headed to my car tonight, out from the school building came five Masai warriors. All in their mid to late twenties. They are a tough, confident and surprisingly friendly lot. Apparently there are about fifteen of them taking English and Swahili classes at the orphanage. They wanted to do their ‘dancing’ for everybody.

Masai in Kisumu are mostly employed as guards. They wear their cloth ‘skirts’ and some jewelry, a blanket, carry their weapons which consists of a special stick and a long knife and you DON’T want to get on the bad side of one of these guys. When a boy Masai comes of age he is sent out in the bush, alone, to kill a lion. When they do, they come back with the hind leg and tail of the lion to prove it and they get a special marking on their arm (some of the guys I met today had three such markings, three lions!) now would you want to mess with a guy who can kill a lion with a stick and a knife?

I digress. So they ‘danced’ for us. Now they sing this amazing song, rhythmic, hypnotic and each of them in turn would ‘dance’ which is basically jumping in place. They try to see which of them can jump the highest. They jump with their arms straight at their sides and straight up and down. Have you tried this? It ain’t as easy as it sounds and they jump high and many times before giving up the stage to the next guy. Apparently this is what they do if they come after you; they jump up like a rabbit and come down on you with their weapons. Anyway I was told that I should come back on Monday when all fifteen of these guys would love to show off their dancing for me. I’m bringing my video camera!

3 comments:

laserbeam said...

Sounds like you are keeping busy and doing well. Your Karma will come back on you and you should have a very rewarding life from this experience. I love Lions though and it would be nice for them to prove their manhood some other way. That internet cafe sounds great! Keep up the great work!
Love AL

Anonymous said...

It is amazing that there are such different behaviors in different places! How many of us would be willing to let our children(I know they're supposed to be men) confront anything that might actually 'prove' manhood or present any kind of danger at all? By the way, killing a lion with a stick and a knive passes me right by! Call me girlie-boy. Wow - so Al, are they going to teach you the boing-boing dance or are you already proficient? Please keep up the wonderful narrative - we all enjoy it so much!
Tony

Anonymous said...

Alan, Happy Father's Day. I've just spent some time going through the 'blog' and I LOVE IT!!!!!

You're kids are too beautiful for words. I love the house... hated to hear what it's like to get stuff to you. Love that guy from overstock.com. Will be looking them up that's for sure!

It sounds terrific. Look forward to following this more closely....your adventures that is.

Well Done. Joan Healy

PS I can't wait to share the 'manhood' stories. My sons think a good game of dodgeball is the measure of a man....I'm sure this will humble them. (Of course, I'll wait until after tomorrow as my middle son, Nick is going to the Bronx Zoo tomorrow and I don't want him to get any ideas...ha ha)